Andre Lewis is rolling out a duo of resources for those of you creating mashups and Google Maps-based applications.
Also related to mapping, Andre recently released GeoKit. GeoKit provides a bundle of tools to make maps-based applications easier:
- Distance calculations in miles or kilometers:
distance = first_location.distance_to(second_location, :units => :miles)
- ActiveRecord distance-based finders:
Store.find(:all, :origin=>[37.792,-122.393], :conditions=>'distance < 10')
- . . . and directly from an address:
Store.find_closest(:origin=>'100 Spear St, San Francisco, CA')
- Geocoding from Google, Yahoo, Geocoder.us, and Geocoder.ca geocoding services. It provides a uniform response structure from all the geocoders, and also has a configurable fail-over mechanism in case one geocoder fails.
- IP-based location lookup. Provide an IP address, and get a city name and latitude/longitude in return.