Brett at San Antonio Safe List recalls the process that he has seen folks with PHP, Python, Java, and DBA experience go through when meeting Rails:
- Everything is so weird.
- Everyone is really annoyed by Rails’ “black magic” where all this stuff just happens for you.
- People realize that programming tasks are handled in a single line.
- They have to lookup how to do something Ruby.
- They realize how much faster they are building things.
- They forget about all other languages and stop saying “Well in Java I’d do this…In python it works like this…Thats just like the ternary operator in Perl…”
- They wonder why in the hell that hadn’t been playing with this a year ago.
- They’re on Rails.